If goodness lead him not, yet weariness
May toss him to My breast.

-George Herbert


Wednesday, June 15, 2011

I'VE LATELY BEEN IN GREAT DISTRESS

I've lately been in great distress
over a knight who once was mine,
and I want it known for all eternity
how I loved him to excess.
Now I see I've been betrayed
because I wouldn't sleep with him;
abed or clothed my mind won't rest
to think of the mistake I made.

How I wish just once I could caress
that chevalier with my bare arms,
for he would be in ecstasy
if i'd just let him lean his head against my breast.
I'm sure I'm happier with him
than Blanchaflor with Floris was.
My heart and love I offer him,
my mind, my eyes, my life.

Handsome friend, charming and kind,
when shall I have you in my power?
If only I could lie beside you for an hour
and embrace you lovingly -
know this, that I'd give almost anything
to have you in my husband's place
but only under the condition
that you swear to do my bidding.

- Countess of Dia, born c. 1140 (translation from the French by Meg Bogin)

No comments:

Post a Comment